PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2007, 05:56
RWA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bieseker
This has been falsified, at least for the B747-400, by the Tahiti overrun, which has been mentioned in this thread.
Since, as far as I can make out, that was a no-injuries 'incident' back in 1993, bieseker, I'm not surprised that I can't google up any sort of comprehensive report on it. Were there any identified 'causes' of it that are relevant to the CGH crash?

Originally Posted by bieseker
Perhaps. But this is speculative.
I thought we were all speculating? I hope I've made my own position clear. There isn't much difference between any of us as to WHAT happened; the 80% probability is that a pilot with over 10,000 hours made a dumb mistake, failed to bring a throttle lever back to 'idle' before landing. Contrary to the drill that is drummed into everyone who has ever flown anything before they're even allowed to solo.

I'm much more concerned with the question of WHY he made such a huge mistake. Only if the 'why' is established ('beyond reasonable doubt,' anyway) can the authorities and the manufacturer take steps to prevent the same thing happening again. It's certainly not enough just to 'prove' that it was pilot error; especially since there have been several recent exactly-similar 'errors' involving highly-experienced pilots landing A320s with one reverser inoperative, and few if any recent ones with other marques?

Originally Posted by Lemurian
That's what I call clutching at straws
Wasn't aware that I was in danger of drowning, Lemurian?

Originally Posted by Lemurian
The design is such that the hand just goes over the T/Ls handfles -I'm not very big,but I manage quite easily to keep the ball of my thumb on the top of the throttles, reaching with two fingers only for the latches ; in this way my hand is in the ideal position for pulling the T/Ls into the reverse range.
Thanks for the first-hand information. Have you ever had to operate the levers as laid down in the previous MEL, 'one to idle, one to full reverse'? Or opted to, or been asked to, practise the drill on a simulator? If so, how did you get on? Any snags or difficulties?

Last edited by RWA; 13th Sep 2007 at 06:05. Reason: grammar