PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2007, 00:53
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
of rudder and brakes

Back again into the fray ! (Some have to fly for a living, you know !)
Referring to my #20954 post :
The only conclusion is that these instances indicate attempts -successful - at using differential braking for directional control, which seems to confirm the slipperiness of the runway (I still haven't given-up on the presence of aquaplaning ).
At 100+ knots the rudder would still have significant influence on directional control, I assume?
But that's exactly the point, Bernd : They shouldn't have needed differential braking for directional control. Unfortunately, due to the tools I have here, I cannot really cerrelate with any acceptable accuracy the lateral acceleration with the brakes and rudder inputs. I think we could dismiss the accidental brake application on rudder pedal movement as the then pilot flying was quite able to do so on most of the brake pressure graph.
Seems to me that this arrangement (unique to the A320, as far as I know) could, in a situation where the pilot was intent on selecting reverse on one engine only, materially increase the risk of the OTHER handle being accidentally knocked, if not right up to the CLB detent, at least out of the 'Idle' detent?
That's what I call clutching at straws :The design is such that the hand just goes over the T/Ls handfles -I'm not very big,but I manage quite easily to keep the ball of my thumb on the top of the throttles, reaching with two fingers only for the latches ; in this way my hand is in the ideal position for pulling the T/Ls into the reverse range.
Why wasn't this set-up kept for the twin-engined A330 ? Just for commonality with the A340. That airplane having four throttles makes the latch solution impractically ackward, unless one has six fingers.
Had you read the Camair incident mentioned four pages earlier, you would have found that the risk of moving accidentally the throttles was achieved by that particular 747 crew.
marciovp,
Thanks for your translations and your honesty in letting us know about the technical knowledge of Airbus systems by bloggers and journalists in your country. Rest assured that they exist also in every country I know. So please stop citing articles on subjects we dealt with on this thread a few hundred posts ago. Please ?