PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2007, 21:52
bsieker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On Reverse Levers

(Boeing uses reverse levers on top of the normal thrust levers, at least in the B737NG, as does Airbus in the A340, from what I can see.)

Originally Posted by RWA
As far as I know, in all the separate lever types, the reverser levers won't move at all unless both (or all four) throttles are at idle.
This has been falsified, at least for the B747-400, by the Tahiti overrun, which has been mentioned in this thread.

The FDR graphs clearly show engine #1 "escaping" to around 106% N1 (probably at or near go-around thrust), and afterwards the other three engines being put into reverse. So there is no cross-lever interlock, despite what some people here seem to have inferred from the FCOM.

Seems to me that this arrangement (unique to the A320, as far as I know) could, in a situation where the pilot was intent on selecting reverse on one engine only, materially increase the risk of the OTHER handle being accidentally knocked, if not right up to the CLB detent, at least out of the 'Idle' detent?
Perhaps. But this is speculative.

It is also irrelevant.

The FDR graphs show that the #2 thrust lever was not "knocked up" after being pulled down, but stayed untouched, in the CL detent (if we take FDR reading to be the actual TL position).

Bernd

Last edited by bsieker; 12th Sep 2007 at 22:28. Reason: Added further comments.