PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying for ANA
Thread: Flying for ANA
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2007, 15:09
TXairEMBdrv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning to all. First post but I've been reading for some time now. First: Thanks to all for the information that is freely given here. I guess we can all appreciate the value of such insight. Thanks!

About Hawaii Aviation/ Crew Resources Worldwide:
I, based largly in part on information from all of you, applied for the B767 Captain position with Japan Post Express. This is the part I still can't believe; I applied Sept. 11, got a call THAT afternoon from an extreemly nice guy! (not sure if I should give his name).
Here are the highlights:
1: Commutting contract- you can only expect 7-8 quality days at home out of the 10 days.
2: Correctiive Eye surgey: LASIK, and Radial Keratodomy (my case) are automatic disqualifiers. Basically, if they can see the scaring your out.
3: B767: They do not expect you to know the A/C, but your basic flying skills had better be up to the task. GUYS OFF THE RJ'S HAVE BEEN HAVING TROUBLE. They first thought that "we" would do just fine. Not to say that some do make it without any problems.
4: Captain/First Officer: OK, I was asked if the sim did not go so well I might be asked if I would consider a First Officer position. My answer: The only reason I could even consider the job and time away is the money otherwise is would gladly accept the F/O position. On a personal level I believe the the training is same, the end result is just the seat you occupy and the pay you collect.
5: Contract expansion: HAWAII AND CREW RESOURCES are now one company, He said that they might start looking for other contracts to offer besides ANA, JPexpress, etc. I could not figure out why they had such a limited amount of contracts but prior to the merrger Hawaii (I think) was owned by the AIRLINE. With the two companies, now they can expand.
I took myself out of the hopper when I asked about corrective eye surgey. Hawaii, (on their website used to have LASIK list as a disqulifier, so I did not apply. Now it is not there, so I applied. I thought it was removed because it was now approved. NO CHANCE!
The guy I talked to was very nice and the way he asked questions seemed to be "looking out for my best interest". He wanted me to understand that It is not an easy lifestyle. Here is the best part. At the end of the conversation he asked me if and when the expand into other airlines ( that do allow corrective eye surgey) if I wanted to remain on file. He told me if he sees somthing that I might be interested in He will get in touch and if I see something to CALL HIM DIRECTLY! NOT E-MAIL, NOT SUBMIT ANOTHER APP., BUT CALL HIM. I've got to say I like this guys attitude and I look foward to doing business with him.

Best of luck to us all!