PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Twin hours light aircraft experience, your views.
Old 11th Sep 2007, 23:54
Life's a Beech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Legally they can be done with little twin time. The problem is the job is actually very difficult, so most companies ask for 40 hours IFR as P1 in a twin, same as is required for single-crew certificated aircraft. We do as a rule. As it is at the moment if you came to me with a fair few hours and an interesting background and you could convince me of your abiolity to fly and to operate an aircraft then I would consider taking you on, whatever the twin time. We even take on very occasional newbies, but only locals as they are expected to be low-paid pilots' assistant/ops assistants initially, doing only non-revenue flying and otherwise being the office and ramp gopher.

The reason for our taking on selected lower-hour pilots answers what I think is the underlying question - will it help me get a good job? Our pilots move on, and we always need more. They have little trouble getting jobs in airlines, and those that stay a year or so get good captaincy experience that will certainly help in their future selection for command. That is experience that so many FOs lack nowadays, many having never even signed for an aircraft without an instructor countersigning it!