PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL qualify cross country
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2007, 21:20
mrshoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL qualify cross country

The other day when i did my short navex to Connington and Fenland, i was less nervous then i was today. I was going further away from my home aerodrome through several MATZ crossings and to 2 different aerodromes, each with different circuit patterns and circuit heights surrounded by villages who wish that aeroplanes were not flying near their homes. The other thing that i recalled when i got to Cranfield was that today was September 11th, possibly not the best day for being in a plane. i have been taught very well so i had to apply what i have learned. Still doing something for the first time is a daunting event and I naturally wonder if i will forget something.

Leg 1 Cranfield to Connington.

Take off was nice, wind today on the surface was very calm, but at about 500 feet it was a little bit bumpy..I flew to Olney where i would start my navex from. I turned onto track bang on where i should have and after checking my alt, t x P, hding, DI and compass, i saw on my map that i was exactly where should be at the right time check. The flight to Connington today was just lovely, the weather was almost perfect, viz was great, the sky was sparkling. Very little traffic in the air today, just 2 planes i saw on route. Changed radio freq to connington and told them that i was “inbound with 10 miles to run” as well as other bits of info. made my standard overhead join and landed smoothly on rwy 21, back tracked the rwy and once vacated parked on the grass. I was pleased with myself that i had flown accurately and kept on track the whole way.

Leg 2 Connington to Retford Gamston

Now this leg was alot longer, longer then anything i have flown yet on my own and it would mean going through military airspace or MATZ. Prior to departure here and at Cranfield, i have been calling NATS (national air traffic service) this is not nromal, but i have a problem with the transponder i have been followed on radar by them to try and work out why the transponder sometimes says that i am at 20,000ft which i am not ever.

there is more on the voayage inlcuding leg 3, which can be found here http://www.freedom-in-the-air.com - when you get the time do check in and hear how my journey ended, some pictures of the plane trip too.