PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA - Moving to the Right Seat
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2007, 18:29
Bellerophon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knee Trembler

I'm probably not the right person to be replying to your post - as I am a long time Capt with BA - and you would likely be better answered by a newish F/O - but, for what they are worth, here are my observations:

• I've flown with a lot of co-pilots who have had commands in other airlines or the military, and all of them seem to have settled back easily in the RHS without experiencing (or causing!) any problems.

• On the B747, I've flown with several co-pilots who have had commands on other aircraft types in BA, and bid away for the RHS on the B747, for their own reasons.

• On another BA aircraft type I flew, around one third of the F/Os had been Captains on other BA aircraft.

• None of which suggests that there is a perceived problem with making the move from LHS to RHS, if that is what suits you.

• I'd like to think that, with the advent of more enlightened flight deck management, the command gradient is now a lot lower than in the past for any pilot, let alone one with your previous experience.

• A longhaul command may well (who knows!) be 12-15-17 years away for you, but I doubt a shorthaul command will take quite that long, and with the recent increase in mandatory retirement age to 65 (!), you will get there eventually.

• I did over 20 years to my first command, and am still glad I joined.

• I've heard many F/Os grumble about lots of things, but not often about how they were treated by their Captains!

So, whilst I doubt you will experience any particular problems in moving to the RHS in BA - in fact I don't think this will be much of a problem for you at all - I would advise you to think very carefully about the overall package, and how other factors, mainly workload and lifestyle, will change with a move to BA.

You will be working hard, and, to start with, at the bottom of the bidline, and only you can decide whether the improvement in long term job security and salary makes the move worthwhile.

I hope the remainder of the selection goes well for you, and I look forward to flying with you. Best of Luck in whatever you decide.

Regards

Bellerophon