PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is It Worth It Anymore?
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2007, 13:27
ostendo mihi via

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the green grass?

This has so far been arguably the most insightful and balanced debate I have read on these forums. I too am an engineer. I earn a respectable salary for my age, I have a sensitive and loving fiance and a detached home in a rural area complete with dogs and a nice view.
All of these things are blessings and I am grateful for them.
However, my day typically begins with a 5.30am start, followed by a two hour drive to work. I then spend many hours sat at a desk staring at drawings and a computer screen. I take telephone calls all day long from people intent on making their problems become MY problem.
I work in an environment where the concept of dynamic responsible leadership is totally alien and in fact I find, I regularly have to think twice before speaking in case my words could used against me later. The work is generally dull and repetitive and I feel like a traitor to my morals more often than I would like to admit. Any of this sound familiar??
My fear is that, whilst I read about the many frustrations of Pilots and compare that to my current world, we are actually experiencing the result of societies that place the pursuit of wealth above all else. This does not seem to be isolated to the aviation industry.
Before I sound like a marxist (I don't believe that works at all), I have reached some conclusions that work for me. I have done a great deal of research into a flying career. Most notably, whilst preparing for future selection tests, I looked into personality types in great depth. When considering my true talents and strengths and after asking myself some tough questions, I had to conclude the goal I had set myself was some way off. I think it is vital that we are prepared to be totally honest with ourselves when choosing what we wish to do with the rest of our lives. I personally plan, to move to a sunny climate and make a future as an instructor. I feel it requires the skills I consider to be personal strengths and whilst I know I will never earn 'big dollar' the personal rewards far outweigh that for me.
It is saddening to see how many of us are frustrated with the cards we have been dealt but encouraging to see so many prepared to work so hard to change what they are not happy with. I still live in hope that we will one day live in a world where people matter more than bank accounts but theres probably no cure for the human condition.
I genuinely hope that all the contributors to this thread find what they are searching for.

Last edited by ostendo mihi via; 11th Sep 2007 at 13:32. Reason: spelling