PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2007, 08:25
bsieker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RWA
That's what's 'bearing in on me' - four different methods, but only ONE (TLs to 'idle') that actually does what you want.
This is rather looking at it backwards. At the flare your aim is not to disconnect autothrust, but to cut engine power. So the most natural thing is to move the levers to idle. That autothrust also disconnects is "merely a courtesy detail."

Does anyone know why the systems got that complicated - in particular, why the red 'instinctive disconnect' buttons are provided at all, when in fact (as I understand it) they don't kill the power but merely 'freeze' the thrust where the autothrust had left it?
One does not turn off autothrust to kill power, but to have manual thrust control.

The red buttons don't freeze thrust. They adjust thrust to match the lever position and are used if you want manual thrust control in the IDLE-to-CLIMB range. Adjust the levers to meet actual thrust, push the button, you have it. (or just push the button and be prepared for a sudden change in thrust. As the FCOM puts in in other places, this is probably "discouraged if passenger comfort is a priority.)

(N. B. Disconnecting A/THR with the illuminated pushbutton on the FCU, which does freeze thrust, is non-standard.)

Have cordially to disagree on that point, bieseker. As far as I know, all he'd need if he wanted to apply full power would be the heel of his palm behind the levers. Unless all these 'systems' are even weirder than I've gathered to date.
Well, that was just a blind guess anyway. It looks like a position I would find most comfortable and safe when anticipating to push as quickly as possible. I use similar grips on the gearshift-lever of my car sometimes, which others also find strange-looking, but I happen to feel comfortable with.

The fingers reach a bit farther than the heel of the hand, so you'd have to move your arm/body a bit less.

You'll notice that he uses the same grip to get from reverse back to forward idle (going a bit past and pushing firmly back to idle stop, as other pilots said is normal.)

Bernd

Last edited by bsieker; 11th Sep 2007 at 09:07. Reason: Added further observation from video.