PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson v Brantly
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2007, 07:52
fling-wing_1

Location: East of the sun, west of the moon, straight on till morning
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brantly

ManfromUncle is right, you have to specify in what category. Every machine has it's positive and negative qualities. Pay no Attention to the naysayers though mate. Everybody has a bird or two they'll pick on. We're all bullies to some degree

For a personal machine the B2B is not a bad choice. She's built hell for stout, safe, easy to fly, reasonably fast, comfortable and pretty darn easy to maintain.

There's a fair number of used parts available to keep costs down, the company's under new ownership and they're pumping quite a bit of capital into the place to get things back up to speed and there is a pretty enthusiastic group of owners out there to help with support.

Unlike what another poster said it does fly alot like another heli - the Hughes 300, maybe just a touch slower on the response. You'd be hard pressed to get into trouble with it. Just like the 300 it's very forgiving. It'll also handle a slope like you wouldn't believe.

One thing to keep in mind though is finding a qualified mechanic. It's not a hard machine to learn but has some quirks. Just make sure your mech doesn't have so much of an ego he's not willing to ask for help. I've seen some machines that flew like crap because that's the way all helicopters fly they told me...Pure BS!!! A properly set up and tracked and balanced Brantly is the smoothest flying two place heli out there. There should be no stick shake, no real vibe at VNE and no real shudder going into and out of translational. It's a characteristic of the blade design. The aerodynamic forces are absorbed in the outboard blade sections and so aren't transmistted into the hub and down into the stick or fuselage.

When it's good it's a sweet ride.

The Robinson has some good qualities too but there's plenty of Robby fans out there so I'll let them speak up for it.
Cheers