PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing
Thread: Landing
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2007, 22:52
Caudillo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey GeorgEGNT - I'm not an instructor but I'll give this a bash, it's worked on everything I've flown so far - although I doubt I can tell you anything your instructor hasn't already.

It's interesting you mention the bricking yourself and the ground coming up in the same sentence. My guess is that you're getting a ground rush - essentially, and you know this better than I do, you're looking at the concrete rushing up at you, self preservation kicks in, and you yank back. It is possible to land this way - and to do so very nicely, but it's not as reliable as other methods.

Try to think about it this way. You are descending towards the runway. Your PA28 is going both forwards and downwards right? Look at it from the side. It's a combination of going sideways and downways - ie diagonally down.
So, we're going forward, and we're going down. You're looking at the runway. It's getting bigger - and hopefully that's all, you're maintaining the picture, its not moving around place, just getting bigger. Right now you're taking in both aspects - the going forward and the going down. For landing at this stage, we need to start thinking about the up-down bit rather than the back-forward bit.

Your prop is taking you forward, we can forget about it at about the point your instructor has taught you to reduce the power and begin pulling back.
If you look down at the concrete now - you'll be trying to take in both aspects - that you're going forward and down. You're giving yourself too much work. You need to take a leap of faith here. You're walking with your girlfriend in the street and the girl in front has the most amazing ass - you dont want her to catch you looking, you drag your eyes away.

Don't look there and don't look at the ground. Take your eyes and force them to look up. You're landing and you shouldn't look down? I know, but you've got to stop youself.

As your instructor will have told you - look ahead at the end of the runway. This way all you're going to know about, and all you'll be able to influence at this stage of your learning, is the up-down bit - and that's what landing essentially is. You'll see how quickly the PA28 is sinking to the ground this way, and that's all you need to know for now. It's a big difference, sinking is much nicer than hurtling.

And that's it. Self preservation'll kick in again, if you see the horizon rising you'll pull back.. you know what to do. But it's gentler, more distant and a lot easier than trying to judge this from looking down and directly ahead. Leap of faith, remember. Uncomfortable at first, but it's the way to go IMHO.
Best of luck!