PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I take the plunge?
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2007, 15:39
wordstwice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have to disagree with the others COUG,

I think you have a great shot at reaching your dreams. I do agree that being a Captain on a 787 will be out of your reach but captiain on a 737, A320, etc can happen for sure! I think it would be important for you to say to yourself is " I will be extremely happy as a captain on a DASH8 or CRJ700". Then, when the industry slows down and if you didnt make it to ACA or WJA you will be content.

Your biggest hurdle will be going from 200 hours to about 1500. At 1500 hours your are very employable for a large turboprop which will give you the experience needed for ACA or WJA. The industry is going strong and will continue for sometime yet so nows the time. If you wait a year or two you'll miss the boat.

I just finished my groundschool and Im 38 and there were several people older than me, the oldest being 44. In certain cities (YUL, YYZ) you can get upgraded to captain very quickly.

You've obviousely considered your finances, affect on your family, etc....I say go for it! I personally know many who have and havent looked back yet.

Good luck to you, have no regrets!