PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would keep you in?
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2007, 09:48
Looker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couldn't afford to stay

I left the FAA 6 years ago for a number of reasons;

1. I could see that the MOD was a shrinking industry with lots of very bright and capable people scrambling for fewer and fewer good jobs/promotions.

2. 'Civilianisation' of the plumb shore appointments meant 'Front line first' became 'Front line every time' and this is unsustainable if married with children.

3. I joined to fly not to spend large amounts of time doing pathetic secondary duties - OIC ballet club -what the fcuk is that all about! Having done an exchange tour with the Crabs I can say they are even more anal about these things.

4. I stayed until the end of my 16 year commission in order to get the necessary CAA licenses and to get a full pension. The gratuity + savings made for a 50% deposit on a house and the pension covers the mortgage. Financially it just didn't make sense to stay.

5. I'm now a captain with a LOCO earning about the same as Captain RN.

6. Do I regret leaving? No

7. I can't think of a single thing that would have enduced me to stay a day beyond my 16. I can say financially and emotionally I'm in a better place than I would be if I'd stuck my head in the sand for another rogering by the incompetents at the Admiralty.

8. Lastly, I don't even miss my service mates. I see them in the LOCO crewroom most days!

Looker

Last edited by Looker; 10th Sep 2007 at 10:18.