PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2007, 05:28
SIDSTAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bernd,

As I am not either an expert in accident investigation or aircraft design I bow to your expertise and that of many others on this thread in such matters. However, following this latest accident, I would expect the investigators to recommend Airbus to objectively examine the benefits of the system to see if it can be improved without transferring the problem elsewhere or creating a totally new problem, which I acknowledge is always a possibility. An example of such recommendations would be the UK AAIB's recommendation regarding the ECAM procedure after the BA 320 lost its displays at night.

I was just making the point that I've seen pilots become totally unaware of their thrust setting at almost all phases of flight and this is certainly not helped by the non-moving levers. I agree, better training is part of the answer but the type rating courses that I've seen do not really allow for much of this basic training in the simulator due to the huge number of system failures that must be at least touched on during 7 or 8 sim sessions. While this could be demonstrated in the simulator, the real place where it needs to be emphasised over and over again is in the line training phase. However, even with the point ingrained in a pilot's psyche during line training, operating the system day in day out without any problems can instill a sense of complacency. As professional pilots we all have a duty to try to be aware of such dangers.

I just feel so sorry for these two pilots who clearly were thrown out of their normal "comfort zone" on this landing. The confusion in their minds must have been appalling and it appears that hey did react within a reasonable timeframe when they realised that they weren't decelerating. Unfortunately it was too late on this occasion.

There but for the grace of God go you or I!