PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rothmans Aerobatic Team (& Others)
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2007, 19:57
rodthesod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maxchord

That would be 205 Course then - I started on 203, was medically recoursed to 205 after a rugger injury, then disciplinary recoursed to 207 after a drinking self-inflicted 'injury'. I don't remember being poked with a stick in the mornings, but then I don't remember much of those days - mostly an alcoholic blur. I continued to set fire to things, including my room in the mess at St Mawgan during an 85 Sqn detachment - much to the amusement of the Lightning jocks I'd been drinking with (and who'd filled every cc of my room with fluffed up RAF crinkly toilet rolls). On reflection, setting light to it wasn't the best way of getting rid of it!

I was similarly 'creamed off' to Vulcans, then 'punished' with a ground tour for not wanting to stay, and again with a posting to the acknowledged 'bad boys' squadron - 85. Some of the happiest flying days of my career, but 'semper in excreta' as usual.

Rothman's came after 2 years with Dan Air when I got the call from Bob T - 'Would I like to come to Teeside for an interview?' - I think I got from Gatwick to RAT HQ before he put the phone down. The interview was an hour in the Pitts doing formation and aeros, and about 6 hours in the Flying Club bar keeping up with Marcus Edwards, Norman Rhodes and Mike Cairns - I passed with flying colours.

My time with Rothman's was amazing. Fantastic flying, camaraderie and they even paid us good money! Booze was becoming more of a problem for me though: I did and said many things I very much regret. I finally quit drinking in 1992. I no longer needed poking with a broom handle to wake up - just wish I'd done it back at South Cerney 28 years earlier (could have saved myself 3 marriages, a couple of houses and an awful lot of embarrassment).

Best regards,
Rod