PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Black Buck 1 "not cricket"
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2007, 19:04
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Having looked at the ODM recently for a different purpose, not to hand atthe moment, but I suspect that most of the flight might have been conducted outside the ODM envelope.

The upper weight entry point on the ODM was, IIRC, 220,000lb so if there were pages for the speed and height used the fuel burn would have been tabulated.

As for throttle adjustment. The V-force practised tracking and timing every trip high or low level. A measure of this could be that some crews with smooth throttle handling could squeeze another 5k or 30 minutes out of the beast. Harvey Moore (mentioned before) once squeezed 7 hr 15 min by the expedient on minimal throttle variation, cruise climb and flying near endurance rather than range speed.

What had surprised the crews, lessons not previously learnt, was that they could get as good a speed as the Victors and a lower fuel burn by flying near the Trop whereas the standard Vulcan mantra had been to fly in the low 40s but this required more fuel to climb and a less efficient burn. Only near the equator with a higher trop was higher better.

As for the popup at 40 miles.

The maximum high definition radar range was 45 miles but you would have needed an aiming point about the size of that 617 Sqn's dogs appendages and good accuracy.

By delaying switch on to less than 45 miles you had a better chance of painting a recognisable bit of land.

Now given a release range of 3 miles and an absolute minimum level and stable run of one minute the aircraft would have had to level off at about 9 miles. A climb to 20000 feet would take about 2 minutes or another 12 miles so the latest popup point would have been 21 miles give or take.

Now the aircraft had been running on IN/DR for perhaps 7-8 hours at an accuracy of possibly 2-3 miles per hour. The IN might have been out be as much as 14-24 miles. Clearly if the IN had been that inaccurate but you poped up at '21' miles you might have been only 7 miles from the target. Prudence, in a low threat environment, would suggest an earlier popup.

We can contrast that with a nuclear popup to 10000 feet from just 9 miles. In that case it was a high threat environment but the nav kit would have been updated and accurate to no more than 2 miles and probably even a matter of yards.