PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would keep you in?
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2007, 15:08
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I think as well as all the BS associated with the civilianization of the RAF, management rather than leadership, budget managers and bean-counters seemingly influencing operational decision making etc, PMA or ACOS Manning taking its collective head out of its arse and treating people like human beings rather than assets to be used until they are of no use, would have a massive impact on retention across the service.

My TRD was over 9 months ago and despite my regular polite prodding of PMA to find out what was going on, have only just got anything concrete out of the deskie. When I first spoke to him 6 months ago (I was ignored totally for the first 3 months past TRD), I emphasised that I wanted a tour to get my life back on track, sort out family and home issues and would in all honesty probably be raring to go back out on ops after that.

What does he offer? Exactly the opposite of what I asked and another front line tour on ops, with most of next year out in parts sandy. Funnily enough, I now find myself thinking about leaving early - something I never ever thought I would be thinking of. But as has been pointed out, I am just a number - or a 'cover' to use PMA's terminology and the deskies really don't care a hoot about their charges. And I am not unique in being in this situation. You want people to stay, treat us like humans and realise that we have matters to consider other than your manning plot - like wives, partners, children, ageing parents, houses, education etc etc.

Seems these days you can sacrifice all of the above for the RAF, all it will do is take with both hands then come back for more. Unfortunately for the RAF (and probably the Army & RN), people are waking up to the fact that they will be discarded by the MoD at the end of their service with no regard to the sacrifices people have made and are taking things into their own hands. Funnily enough, I'd rather have the family. friends and house to fall back on rather than an small empty flat, a few photos and a few memories when I'm 55 divored and on the RAF's scrapheap with little to show for it. Sooner PMA realise that treating people like **** is doing them no good, the better. Then people may consider staying and making a full career out of the RAF. As it is, with the numbers of people leaving early or at option & exit points, assimilation or the prospect of promotion to senior ranks is hardly a resounding endorsement - it's just that every other bugger has left and stores have a load of uniforms they need to get off its shelves

Last edited by Melchett01; 9th Sep 2007 at 15:20.