PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would keep you in?
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2007, 13:46
Op_Twenty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Why don't any of the FRIs target 33 year olds just about to leave on a SSC?"

Bayette is right in my opinion, this is something that needs to be looked at closely. My 12 year option comes up in just under 3 years, I've worked out pension loss from early separation from the service versus potential salary increase from the airlines and the airlines certainly makes up for it. That coupled with the lack of interest in my career from the service when I'm over 40, I would be very badly placed for an airline job if I left after 16 years (I'll be 41). United Airlines recently refused to take aircrew applications from the over 40's (subsequently overruled in US courts - but the sentiment remains) Until the RAF realises that it needs to offer a substantial financial incentive to retain aircrew post the 12 year option it will continue to lose that experience and the effect this will have on the future of the service will be severe. It's the early to mid 30's guys they need to keep, look what happened to the harrier force when guys stepped - we'll soon see this through not just one force, but the entire service. Oh, that's what 'my friend' reckons by the way.