PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is It Worth It Anymore?
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2007, 10:50
flyboy1818

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem with potential Pilots at the moment is that they have a significanlty different image of what the industry and the job will be like when they start training to the actual realities. This in many ways means that an abundance of people go onto Professional Pilot training that should quite simply get a PPL and enjoy flying in their spare time. Since 9/11 we have probably seen the worst time for a rookie pilot ever, the combination of the Aviation industry being/recovering in/from recession, the dawn of the low cost business model, a massive increase in national wealth and a run of many years of cheap debt fuelled by low intrest rates has produced too many rookie Pilots, many of whom have gone into training on a 1940's pipe dream with little research of planning beyond initial training.

I know many hopefuls who are now doing training well into their fifties. Will they get jobs? Yes a few will, but the majority won't, why? Because every year an army of young people start expensive integrated training after finishing an expensive Aviation degree. These people are in the 21-25 age range and most of them will work for nothing because its all they know, they have never known anything else and risk loosing all otherwise. As a result the carnage is really out and T&C's for the newly appointed FO make bag throwing look a more attractive proposition as many have previously pointed out on this website.

For me I have always known this Industry as an Industry, not a profession. I started out at 17 working in a very low paid job for a ground handler, and over the years I have gained an Aviation degree, at the same time working and building upon my previous industrial experience. I now have a very well paid job for somebody of my age, but still I'm not a Pilot. I have however had my PPL for many years. I am in the same situation as you, I have a very nice job which pays well and gives me more days than just Saturday and Sunday off, the pay also allows me to do a significant amount of travelling and flying in my free time, I have great promotional prospects too! Rather than jump head first into loans and a year or so out of work, I'm going to use my spare days to do the training part time and at the same time keep myself out of debt and demise. My advice, do the same, no debt, no life change, take a little longer and do it part time.

Now for the big one, is it worth it? In my mind yes, but then I know this industry very well and I know what to expect, I know who to work for and who not to work for. Do some research beyond the flight schools, and see what you think of it. Some examples would be: Part time job at an Airport for a few months on weekends, speaking to newly qualified FO's at gatbash or BALPA conferences. So to summarise I think you should go for it, but only after proper research. I also think that you should keep your job in the process, don't loose your money and your mind! Maybe a part time job as a flying instructor could be a good first step, allowing you to build hours and rise above many of the younger lower houred rookies. Good Luck!