PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying and Patter
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2007, 09:11
EladElap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pattering a student whilst flying accuratly, is something that you can only achieve with practise. When I completed my initial instructors a year or two ago, I still didn't have it nailed totally.

One thing that helps is when you develop your own patter, so that you aren't trying to recite and remember something. Now days, with a fair bit of experience behind me, when I fly solo, I still find myself talking constantly about what I'm doing in the air. Even for IF renewals or conversions, you will end up pattering through the person testing you, which I thing always comes across well, they then will be aware of your procedures and accuracy of flying. For example if you are 100 foot low in straight and level, and you point it out as part of your patter, then you'll find the examiner is far less likely to penalise you because they are aware you know that you are low for example.

Anyways, it's a tricky skill, but once you've mastered it, it becomes second nature. Best idea, take a mate up with you, someone you are comfortable around and not worried you are going to screw up around, and patter him through some of the upper airwork. Effects of controls, S & L, climbing descending etc.

All the best and good luck with the instruction, I'm sure you're going to love it!