PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - West London Airfields (Heston, Hanworth, and Hounslow)
Old 8th Sep 2007, 21:18
233SQN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be up for a walk of the sites... but work commitments would mean it would need to be after September 30th (our year-end!)
I now live in Worcester, but used to live locally and know all the sites quite well, I have amassed quite a collection of photos, maps etc, which would allow us to determine the position of long gone buildings etc.
There are a few other remnants left at Heston, the parachute store and other miscellaneous small buildings still exist, and there is quite a large part of one of the old buildings on the west side near the old Comper factory that I have never quite been able to place on old photos, but I'm sure it is original.
The jewel is however the Jackaman hangar... there are some good old pic’s of it and some interesting text about Woodason's (model makers) who used to be on the site here..
http://www.collectair.com/woodason.html have a read it is very good and would provide some opportunities for then and now photo's
There are still things to see at Hanworth, especially the house. There was a "control tower" it was actually the corner of one of the old Whiteheads factories but glazed on two sides (a bit like Hatfield?) last time I visited, but it went a few years ago with the development of the leisure complex.
There is little to see on Hounslow Heath, although in other threads on this forum I did see discussion about the old Railway marshalling yards and what someone thought was the Hounslow Heath Control Tower (there wasn’t one) but was in fact part of the marshalling yard. Not sure if that is still there, it was last time I walked the site as was the bases of the locomotive turntables.