PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bond/OAT "Sponsorship"
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2007, 14:23
Propellerhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's easy to be cynical but welcome to the real world. Surely it's better for more people to get to stage 2 and have a shot at proving themselves. In reality there will be a set number of slots for that week and the best x number of candidates get those slots.

I spent over £1000 on attending aptitude test and interviews (including travel costs) before I secured sponsorship, but now I fly a shiny jet and earn that in less than a week so I think it was a good return on my investment!

You could think of it as another 'filter' - I wouldn't spend £195 unless I was committed. Even if you don't get through the tests are a proven indicator of likelihood of success on a flying course so it's still a worthwhile excercise and could lead to being accepted on a self sponsored course or being considered for other sponsorships in the future.

You can either put your thoughts into how 'unfair' things are or you can devote those energies into revising for the assessment and giving yourself the best possible chance of progressing. I think I know which person is more likely to succeed!

Good luck to all. I didn't walk into my first sponsorship opportunity. I still have a collection of rejection letters to remind me of how hard I worked to get where I am, and the setbacks I had to pick myself of the floor from and move forward to the next opportunity wiser and better prepared.

We all need a bit of 'luck' but to a greater extent the harder you work, and the more determined you are, the 'luckier' you get!!