PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2007, 13:05
bsieker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemurian
There is, from the FDR a glaring takeover by the F/O.
Originally Posted by bsieker
Yes, but this is most likely not a causal factor in this accident, although very interesting to note in itself, and will be subject of investigation into training procedures, etc. at TAM.
Originally Posted by Lemurian
Can't it be also a factor in the delayed application of pedal brakes ? The time tags for stick inputs and braking seemed to indicate that possibility.
We have too few facts about the mode of this Takeover. In the CVR transcript there is no "I have control" or similar callout, which, particularly in a side-stick cockpit, must be called out in one form or another during a transfer of control.

So it is almost impossible to say what, if any, effect this may have had on delaying braking. So it is not included in the graph. But I think I'll give it some more thought. Thanks for pointing me to it again.

The only conclusion is that these instances indicate attempts -successful - at using differential braking for directional control, which seems to confirm the slipperiness of the runway (I still haven't given-up on the presence of aquaplaning ).
At 100+ knots the rudder would still have significant influence on directional control, I assume?

We still consider aquaplaning a possibility (so it is in the graph), but again, this has yet neither been confirmed nor denied. A comparison of wheel speed (if recorded), actual (A/S-limited) brake pressure and possibly other factors will tell.

I started as early as the 10th of august : See posts 1410, 1508, 1525.
Oh, yes, I remember, about the stick-control take-over. But, now as then, I cannot comment on that, other than that I find it interesting to see a complete takeover without callout.

Would be interesting to know if the priority-takeover pushbutton was pressed, and, if so, if the deactivated stick's inputs are still recorded, or suppressed even on the FDR?

Have to go now, but I submit this document to your perusal and study, as it covers most of the oPs and H/F sides of this discussion in depth. It is really worth a read.

Getting to grips with ALAR
Thanks a lot for this, it looks indeed very interesting.

Bernd

Last edited by bsieker; 8th Sep 2007 at 13:10. Reason: another thought.