PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2007, 12:32
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
of directional problems

Bernd,
Looking at the FDR print-out, between time tags 18:48:30 and :47, there are two very definite instances of a combination of
  • an application of right *almost* full rudder
  • an application of *almost* full right brake pedal application
  • a release of left pedal brake
The pilot was perfectly capable of maintaining max braking on both pedals outside these instances, and others that are less obvious,considering the *apparent 1°/second sampling rate.
The only conclusion is that these instances indicate attempts -successful - at using differential braking for directional control, which seems to confirm the slipperiness of the runway (I still haven't given-up on the presence of aquaplaning ).
Directional stability issues caused by asymmetric thrust are not in the graph,
It seems that the general application of right rudder is another indication.
There is, from the FDR a glaring takeover by the F/O.
Yes, but this is most likely not a causal factor in this accident, although very interesting to note in itself, and will be subject of investigation into training procedures, etc. at TAM.
Can't it be also a factor in the delayed application of pedal brakes ? The time tags for stick inputs and braking seemed to indicate that possibility.
we cannot say who made the brake pedal inputs, and L and R here does not refer to the Captain's and F/O's pedals, but left MLG and right MLG brakes.
Yes. I've had this idea about F/O taking over so strongly and for so long that I overlooked this fact. Thanks, and apologies .
I'm sorry, I must have missed that. Which post are you referring to?
I started as early as the 10th of august : See posts 1410, 1508, 1525.
Have to go now, but I submit this document to your perusal and study, as it covers most of the oPs and H/F sides of this discussion in depth. It is really worth a read.
Getting to grips with ALAR

Regards.

Roland

P.S I understand that prevention is different ! But good SOPs should be universal.