PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2007, 09:04
bsieker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lemurian,

thanks a lot for your feedback.

Between 11 and 12, there is no *No Decel* call out, whether it is in the SOPs or not, that call, in the airlines where it is SOP is a trigger for manual brake application,
There are some guidelines on the incorporation of so-called "un-events" in a Why-Because Graph. It requires that the missed event is prescribed in regulations/laws, is a standard operating procedure, or at least common practice. it is not clear that this was the case in TAM operations. I may add it as an assumption, though, togehter with the missing "DECEL" light, in the same way as the missing Spoilers-indication.

Looking at the rudder displacement print-out, it appears that there was some rather drastic application of rudder pedal, hence the assumption that, combined with 26 -*persistent significant forward thrust*- and 28 -*lower friction coefficient* -, there was some directional control difficulties which would have participated in 25 -*lower than expected wheel brake deceleration*-, or even 20 -*wheel brake application is delayed*-.
Very interesting point.

Directional stability issues caused by asymmetric thrust are not in the graph, but may have played a role in brake application delay. Maybe I should add this as assumptions, together with a node about thrust asymmetry (having 26 (modified to read "... on engine #2") and 39 (or an effect of 39: "Reverse thrust on engine #1") as causal factors.)

I think that the "flatness" of the captain's 'stick inputs cannot be discarded, especially when we observe that quite early the F/O flight controls seem to be very active and that he is the one going aggressively with the braking.There is, from the FDR a glaring takeover by the F/O.
Yes, but this is most likely not a causal factor in this accident, although very interesting to note in itself, and will be subject of investigation into training procedures, etc. at TAM.

I think we cannot say who made the brake pedal inputs, and L and R here does not refer to the Captain's and F/O's pedals, but left MLG and right MLG brakes.

Sorry, I'd have preffered someone to pick on my earlier hints but nobody seemed interested.
I'm sorry, I must have missed that. Which post are you referring to?

Bernd

Last edited by bsieker; 8th Sep 2007 at 09:46. Reason: reformatting, clarified wording.