PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2007, 04:23
Dani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you to the two Engineers (SyEng and ChristiaanJ) for repeating the technical reasoning. I'm sad that SyEng won't take part anymore because he showed the way of thinking with much more patience than I could.

For our Brazilian friends, who joined us later, two more points have to be added:

1. Technical failure:

If there was a broken TL or any associated system there would have been a failure/warning produced by the FWC/ECAM. The system is so heavily electronified that several sensors watch each other, and if one sensor fails you also get a warning. This has been explained before but I couldn't find it anymore. I'm aware that we don't possess the FDR data from the ECAM but it can be assumed with high certainty that if there had been such failures, the Brazilian authorities would be the first to publish it, and Airbus would have also given out bulletins to their operators, maintenance personal and pilots.

2. Human aspect:

If there would have been a failure in the TL, its associated system, in the EEC, the FADEC, the trust revers system or any other relevant system, the pilots would have reacted differently. In case their intention was to stop (as they were) and a TL failure occurs, they would cut a trusting engine, i.e. put Master Switch 2 to off.
If their intention was not to cut engine 2, go around, they would have to put both TL to TOGA, would have gone around and problem would also be solved. Remember that with only minimal higher speed than they had at the end of the runway, they could have attempted a GA.

These two aspects lead most of us to believe that we can falsify the other reasons just brought up again by our Brazilian friends and the Brazilian Parliament committee.

[Sorry for my convinced way of arguing now and in all my previous posts. It doesn't mean that I have evidence but that I follow the most likely causes and put them together. If I use the words certainty and likelihood, it doesn't imply that I have the absolute solution.]

Can we finally agree with that and come back to a more needed discussion about what to do to avoid further accidents like these?

Dani