PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wind Turbine Plan at East Midlands Airport!
Old 8th Sep 2007, 02:41
dave10101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would just like to highlight a few facts i found after careful research into scientific journals.

A. The turbines are more likely to be affected by wind turbulance from the planes than the otherway round, but this is not a significant risk to turbine performance.
B. A responce to 'BILLS' comment; turbines are seemingly not required to be placed 6 rotor diameters apart but more like 4.5-5, and this overcompensates for any wind disturbance anyway.
C. Army Radars will be affected yes, obviously. Although with the volume of radars dotted all over the country one area affected will easily be covered by about 2 more radars from other angles.
D. Turbines situated at the stated areas of the airport are almost more safe than any others further away. Planes will not fly along the sides of the runway or the airport - only down the actual runway and so will have less chance of contact even with them being closer.

Obviously this is a biased opinion as i feel wind energy is one of the few ways we can develop without the need for building more nuclear power stations (which won't even be ready untill about 2020 - and what will we use untill then - more dirty coal stations, oil which is running out and gas from russia???)

Just an opinion which i hope people will recognise.

Dave.