PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Etihad - Wannabees & Recruitment II
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2007, 23:05
dahlia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-CC23-

Very much true what u said! I really can relate to that, I've been there too.

Ok, you should be positive about everything but for people who are planning to join an airline in the middle east, or lets say in the UAE, should know about what is waiting for them before they step on a plane, because when I joined I didn't know anyone who was living there, so i got most of my info from the media who displays Dubai and the UAE very glamourous.
unfortunately i didn't find out about pprune at that time

I want to give the new comers a lil info, firstly.. when you arrive don't be shocked when you see a whole bunch of Indian/pakistani workers, they're everywhere, YES you arrived at the right airport and in the country of servants, they are the majority of the population and very poor, the local arab community however is only a couple of hundred thousand. There are no labour movements or other such movements, when you have problems there's nowhere to go for help. There is no democracy, but the rulers are very nice and generous people! you have to respect their rules! and more importantly the islamic lifestyle, the attitude is " if you dont like it go back to your country" you have to be a bit quiet about your opinion! this country is up-coming and booming, there is a lot of construction everywhere and if you can imagen todays Dubai or Abu Dhabi 10 years ago...it was mostly desert not to mention 5 years from now, but don't think u'll only be surrounded by luxury, the crappy old uae is still present in most places!
Its allso very hard to find (true) friends especially when ur not a clubber, the friends you'll have are most probably other crew, (not really divers) and you have to be carefull of who you meet!
Sometimes you get the news that the company changed this or that wich sometimes can be drastic changes and you have to just play with it. It allso takes so much effort to get the most simpel things done, these are just some of the important things you should know, but unfortunately there are more.

I will allso tell you the good part, your accomodation, transportation, uniform and etc. are free, the malls are super great, with all the shops from back home and more! the weather is very nice ( except for the summer season) you can do lots of fun stuff in the desert, there're a lot of festivals, the tax-free lifestyle, the service is great, they pack ur groseries for you in the supermarket, the costumer is a real king here, there're a lot of nice places to go out like the jumeirah area( Dubai), dining and etc. etc. for the party peeps there is nothing much in Abu Dhabi, but in Dubai you can find the best clubs! the people are very friendly ad save, lowest crimerate in the word I think! it's most unlikely to witness somebody get his ass kicked on the streets or in public places! you have to be carefull not to be involved in such things or get arrested for what ever reason, you can be banned out of the country for it!

Well i hope I gave you the info you needed! for those coming to this side of the world, I wish you the best and Its a real excited experience! just be prepared and remember these are the things I experienced!!

Tc,
Dahlia