PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 212 Crash - Belize
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2007, 22:43
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also seem to remember an ex Army pilot on 33, nicknamed "Looney", who flew his Puma into the jungle canopy at night on a casevac between Rideau and Salamanca. Must have been '87/'88 ish.
Funny, when someone mentioned "No serious incidents" I, (twice), started to write this story but decided, for the benefit of those involved, not to write it. So, in the spirit of trying to locate the truth my version is:-

Chris, (Looney), L*****, (Sorry Chris, it was your nickname), and Andy [Last name on the tip of my tongue] were attempting to pick up a casualty from an old LZ deep in the mountains not too long after dark. Not sure how it occurred but a multiple tip strike occurred while trying to get in. I don't recall hearing about the Alts cutting out due to a loss of RRPM so I won't argue the point, (I got this story from Andy himself), but the biggest problem they had was the vibration that made all the instruments unreadable. They flew out of there and either the village hadn't yet cut off it's Genny or, (as I seem to remember it), they were flying around looking for somewhere to land and the village heard them and turned on the genny. Either way, they landed safely and the subsequent occurrences in my memory seem to gel with GHYH...

I say all of that with the detriment of almost 20 years of time having passed... Oh, it would have been 1987 or 1988 because Andy was relatively new and I was gone in mid 1988.

Someone recently told me Andy went Pilot and succeeded... If your watching this Andy... Congrats... You were a good man as was Chris.