PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2007, 22:22
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SyEng,
I've had enough of re-iterating the same old points and I concede that I'll never get through to those who have already made their minds up, so I'll shut up now.
We must be a very small minority having been through all the 2100 posts so far. So yes, the same old points have been re-iterated, but let's try and give a hand to the late-comers. They also want to learn.

EMIT,
Next point is, as a pilot, I think that the most valuable point to ponder is, the question how or why did the PF leave the T/L #2 in CLB detent?
If you start looking back through the earlier posts, you will find mostly two answers.

1) Somehow, somewhere, landing on a short slippery runway, with one TR locked out, with none-to-clear SOPs about how to handle TL and TR in that case, with a vague memory of having to leave the TL concerned in idle, not reverse idle, etc. etc. the PF did not move the #2 TL but left it in CLB detent.
The ensuing chaos was not something the average human mind could sort out in the 90 seconds remaining.
Some of the posts on that subject are really worth reading.

2) The pilot pulled both TLs to idle, but there was a mechanical or electrical failure, so the engine controls still saw "CLB detent".

Personally, I've seen so many well-reasoned posts on the subject, that I tend towards 1). "Pilot error"? Yes. But that "pilot error" was only the end of a long chain of "causal factors", that should be addressed.

2) ? As an engineer, I find it improbable at just that moment. But, again as an engineer, I will not discard that answer until there is evidence to the contrary.