PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is It Worth It Anymore?
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2007, 20:47
Superpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no such thing as the perfect job. Anything you do for long enough you will begin to hate unless you are one of those that know the reality of it - that every job has it's ups and downs and you might as well stick to the one with the best view! Do you really think a "challenging" and varying job (with new things to learn everyday) is that much better???

I assure you it's not. In my game (IT) it's certainly never boring and always loads to do and learn with changing technologies and uncapped IT budgets! but there are downsides. I am constantly having to take my work home with me in order to make gains on the day ahead. As a result my quality of life is, well, **** to be honest. A lot of my spare time is spent worrying about problems at work, thinking about the next meeting etc.

I work on average 50 hours a week. I am having to deal with Project Managers who push the most unrealistic schedules in my face. I have to commute using the grot that is London's public transport.

I used to love challenges and fast paced environments but not any more. Almost everyone I know does not see IT as being in line with their long term goals. Simply because we all know we'd die of mental fatigue before we reach our 50s.

I'm in my mid twenties and earning a tad above you A.R (Contractor rates ) but that aint going to stop me from trying a flying career. It was my first choice in life and I can proudly say even if I begin to hate it after 5-10 years, I'll just consider it a fact of life.

Last edited by Superpilot; 7th Sep 2007 at 21:01.