PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Crash?
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2007, 17:08
VeeAny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to teach there (at the airfield), so I hope its none of my ex students, and regardless I hope WHOEVER it is, is not seriously injured. They did however apparently leave in an ambulance.

I know a couple of people who saw it and they described it has having lifted to the hover erratically, bounced off the ground spun round and hit its tail rotor on the apron, ended up with right skid broken.

Some of them went to assist and report bits of tail rotor having come through the cabin injuring the pilot in the back, enough to draw blood, although he did walk away.

The wreckage was back in the hangar within 20 minutes and what the guys I know can't work out is how come the airport fire service didn't turn up (not a criticism they are a good bunch of chaps and have turned out to me for considerably less, but did the airfield even know about the incident, as it is possible for the tower not to be able to see onto that apron at low level).

I am sure all will come out in the AAIB Report, they must have been told pretty sharpish in order to give permission for the wreckage to be moved inside that quickly.

Gary

Last edited by VeeAny; 7th Sep 2007 at 18:19. Reason: Clarification