PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAM A320 crash at Congonhas, Brazil
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2007, 15:45
Dani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please, don't start it all over again!

It is absolutely per design of an A320 (as of any aircraft with autothrottle) that the aircraft wants to maintain it's ordered speed, even when there is one engine not providing any forward trust anymore.

Imagine the same aircraft in another scenario: aircraft shortly before landing, pilots see that they cannot stop it, so they order a Go Around and shuffle in some power. Unfortunately, one engine quits, or even worse, it goes to revers (a very feared case which has happened a few times, although never on a A320). So they are hanging barely in the air, 20 ft above the runway, the end rapidly approaching. You can be happy that the other engine is providing trust, i.e. the ordered speed, and both pilots prey that it will be enough to get away from the ground.

You have to learn that a machine doesn't know the intention of a pilot nor does it know the outcome of the case. It's just there, designed to work under every thinkable circumstance.

Likewise it has to be repeated that all data given in the published data recorder are completly consistent and logical with each other. There is hardly any other convincing theory other than that the system itself worked completly as it was designed. There most probably (I know that some are attacking me for early conclusions) was never any technical problem on this aircraft (except the unservicable reverser 2), and that all went down the drain with one single action, the TL 2 being in CLB detent.

I understand that our Brazilian friends try to find also other channels of information. Lots of them are in a hectic manner to produce "evidence" and strong action so it can never happen again. This is understandable. Still I believe rather a set of data of a FDR than an commision of a parliament or an "enhanced audio tape". Bear in mind that the FDR data has been "issued" by the Brazilian Air Authority. There might be the case of falsifying it, but as previous said, the data is perfectly consistent and logical.

Dani