PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome?
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2007, 12:26
Caudillo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evansb - well done, quite right, so over to you!

To DW11, also quite right, I'd discovered the thread and seen a few vintage shots, so I thought my first would be a good bet, though after a bit of thought I reckoned it might be a bit better to include something more upto date.

I threw in the Dutch accent by way of a bit of gentle misdirection, in hindsight it was probably unfair given how out of the way the Azores are.

Strange as it may seem, the Azoreans, despite being paid-up Portuguese do have remarkably impenetrable Dutch accents. So much so that their Portuguese is subtitled when shown on TV on the mainland. Pico in particular has dozens of Dutch accents that vary from village to village, the variety of which I would imagine is only matched by the UK.

The Islands, now known as the Azores (a type of goshawk I think..) used to be known as the Ilhas Flamengas - the Flemish Islands, and the first meaningful settlers there were in fact the Dutch. A bit of googling has just found that the first "master" of the island was a gent by the name of Joos van Hurtere, who received the island in 1482.

Anyway, they're well worth a visit, Pico in particular with its spanking new aerodrome!

Good luck!