PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OOMS a request?
Thread: OOMS a request?
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2007, 09:00
ATCO1962

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi tournesol,

We teach all our lads and lasses to give full route clearances due to the possibility of differences between what you have programmed in your computer and the FPL we receive via the AFTN.

The nature of that route clearance takes a variety of forms depending on the watch concerned and the individuals. Usually, we give either the airway designator to the next significant turning point followed by the next airway and significant turning point, etc or we just give, if possible, direct routings to waypoints in a manner that doesn't send you through danger areas and doesn't cause you to be more than just a mile or two off track when you enter the next sector's airspace. I find this latter method the one that most pilots appreciate and comprehend better. We don't usually give other waypoints along the way but it wouldn't surprise me if you get all sorts of variations on what I've written above.

Some of the lads rattle off every single item found in an encyclopaedia at Mach 3 and wonder why there's a stunned silence at the other end or why the read back looks nothing like the clearance that was offered.

Reminds me of the famous American pilot who, when confronted with a rapid clearance, replied in a slow Texan drawl, " Y'all hear how fast I'm talkin'; that's as fast as I can write!"

Please let us know when we're not doing it right. We do want to raise our standards and being silent doesn't help. A kindly, careful, non-threatening request can sometimes educate.

Safe flying gents and gentesses!