PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I remember my first solo...
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2007, 08:11
SKYYACHT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Solo

My first solo flight was as an Air Cadet in a Kirby Cadet MkIII open cockpit glider. I accomplished this feat at the age of 16 at RAF Kenley, in the early/mid 1970s. The winch launch seemed so much faster, and the angle steeper. I can still play this flight back with absoloute clarity even after all these years - the soft creaking of the airframe, the smell of doped fabric, the scent of grass. It was the middle of June, and it was very warm, and when I finally got the the top, and pulled off, the world became very quiet. I could see most of South London spread beneath me, from my lofty 1300 feet! Then it was time to concentrate..... My circuit was a bit egg shaped, as I managed to stay higher for longer (I think that Whirly's Captain 2 cwt was also my instructor) but once I cracked the spoilers, I made a reasonable approach and landing. Well, it must have been, because they let me go up a few more times.
I soloed my first powered aeroplane (Cessna C152 N714AT) at Alliance Field in Texas. This airfield houses American Airlines main maintenance facility and has a runway some 3200m long. My instructor (Bill Davidson where are you now?) asked me to taxi back to the tower after I had flown a few circuits there, and then, before I could tell him that I wasnt ready he was out of the aeroplane like a jackrabbit, and disappeared, shouting "Three circuits, then collect me from here"
I sat there for a few moments, the realisation that I was alone in the cockpit, and then with a shaking hand and a dry mouth, I picked up the microphone (No Headsets back then!) and requested taxi clearance. I did the checks, and lined up, then opened the throttle, and like all the other posters, we accelerated very fast and the little 'plane leapt into the air. I was at circuit height, and could still see the end of the runway.
I did the requisite circuits, and then landed and picked Bill up. The sad thing is, you can only ever go solo once!
However, each time I pass a check ride of some description, I still get that same adrenalin rush, and the buzz...the most recent of which was going solo for the first time in the aeroplane in which I have just bought a share - a Piper Super Cub 150.... I got checked out last Friday - and I am STILL grinning.
Have a good one!

Last edited by SKYYACHT; 7th Sep 2007 at 08:12. Reason: Revision to text