PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airways Park in neglect
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2007, 05:24
Speed Managed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deskjock you off the subject here just a tad, but I must respond.

If SAA pilots were on the same package as Mango pilots, it wouldn't be just the SAA pilots leaving, and not just a few!!!!!

Let's step into your ideal world:-
SAA pilots were put on the same package as Mango pilots and SAA started to lose pilots hand over fist (which would happen, they already starting to leave under present conditions!), it stands to reason that obviously SAA would then be viewed as no longer an attractive long term career airline. Then surely any other pilots looking to work themselves into a major airline career would now have no reason to stay in SA. There would not only be SAA pilots leaving for foreign shores, but also those from other local carriers (Its already started!).
No long term national/major airline flying career prospects in SA, why stay?
Which young pilot will want to stay? Go ask any of YOUR young Mango pilots if he intends starting and retiring at a Mango/feeder type airline which SAA would have become!? Nope, I don't think so.
His only alternative; get his minimum training and experience in SA and get into a major carrier offshore ASAP! Don't even waste his time and money (training bonds) in a feeder airline in SA!
Your great addition to the Brain Drain!

Then you get to test the supply in the market:-
Alot of present pilots in SAA and other local carriers came from the Airforce. That source of pilots has all but dried up now.
Costs of private training has increased immensly, what with the costs imposed on general aviation in SA and fuel prices. Throw in conditions in SA, the growth of the Airline Industry around the globe (except SAA), and now the situation you have created of NO long term career prospects in the SA airline industry.
Maybe that big pile of CV's on the desk doesn't look so big anymore?! What now?
I suppose now you do the national norm, lower the requirement standards (Must keep that big pile of CV's you know!) Why not, they say any monkey can fly!
But now the passengers are the test dummies and they don't quite share your monkey theory and they've already started voting with their feet!
Probably lose some market share, especially amongst international passengers? But thats OK, we've seen it before, we'll cut routes, cut costs, restructure, call it a fancy name, not "Bambanani" or "Getting the Basics Right", etc, we've used all those! That will improve the bottom line! It's not our fault, it's those pilots, and their greed for money that has caused all this!

Now, I can see why you in Management! And you are right, it's all about supply and demand!'