PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pull up a sandbag ~ "I remember when..
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2007, 21:50
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A|R:

You'd better get all these down before Alzheimer's kicks in...

But you did dig up a few more for me...

Smells:-
  1. The smell, (and oppressive heat/humidity), when they opened the door of the VC-10 in Belize.
  2. The smell of my freshly washed and dried, (in Belize), clothes when I opened my holdall in the UK.
  3. The smell of my arm past he elbow after mistaking a dead sheep for a rock while white water canoing on the Spey and trying to use it as a brake...
  4. The smell of a certain WRAC attached to 8 Signals in Catterick that was so "fishy" I quit...
  5. The smell of a block at Xmas in NI after a day and night's toga party that ended with a puking competition.
  6. The smell of acrid sweat on troops that have been in the jungle two days or more
  7. The smell of "clean" after having had the acrid sweat smell after 4 days in the jungle
Silly Buggers:-
  1. Jamaica: Russian trade delegation staying in the same hotel. Many a happy few minutes as they waited for transport spent trying to confuse and confound their political "handlers", (babysitters), by getting close to them and trying to start conversations with the members of the delegation from multiple directions at the same time...
  2. Nearly convincing the hooker in Raul's that the $5 watch on my wrist was really a $100 watch and getting laid and change... Failed... So I paid...
  3. Being drunk on a sunday and doing parachute drills from the third floor of the temporary block we were assigned at Catterick Garrison prior to the move to Hullavington. Bruising my heel doing it and still suffering from it today.
  4. Answering the Int. Cell phone at Aldergrove "Duuuhhh.... Intelligence..." when my OC called me one day.
  5. Being called to his office and being "straightened out".
  6. Being called to my OC's office 2 days later for the same offense!!!
  7. Being told _not_ to aim at the sheep on the hills behind the butts only to watch a sheep "fall when hit" by someone down the line of shooters.
  8. Hearing that all those sheep that fell over suddenly when we flew over that ridge near Faslane at extremely low level were, in fact, dead... (Wimps... )
Miscellaneous:
  1. The T-shirt after the FI stating "That's what happens when you pull the Lion's tail"
  2. Visiting Special Branch at Aldergrove just before Xmas and being taken to a huge room with kitchen-type cabinets all round the wall with red crosses on them. When they were opened they were all full of optics with all manner of booze.
  3. Being forced to drink some Potchine (sp) made by a talented gent in Magherafelt(sp) that the SB allowed to keep making it as long as they got "theirs", (because it was unique tasting and not that raw sh1t most of it was), before I was allowed any booze from the "kitchen cabinets".
  4. Being sh1t scared carrying a pint of it back to the mainland... but making it...
  5. Seeing the _really_ small pile of ashes that remain when a SWB Landrover has "spontaneously combusted".
  6. Watching a sheep come out from under the hulk of an old tank that is used on the 84mm "Charlie G" range when a live round is fired at it.