PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working and Living in Trinidad
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2007, 17:58
Panman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I lived in Trinidad for 11 years (ages 7-18). With the exception of 1994 and 1995, I have been home every year since I left to come back to England.

For me Trinidad is a wonderful place.

Crime does exist, but where in the world is crimefree? You will find that it is mainly concentrated in the east-west corridor and is usually drug/gang related. Once you remain inconspicuous you should be okay.

There are some attitudes to life that will annoy you. The locals will let anyone walk over them and they also expect everyone else to have the same attitude. So if you feel as if you have been hard done by and are prepared to stand up for yourself you will get a lot of opposition and you will hear the assinine statement "well in Trinidad we do it like..." as an excuse. They need to buck up on that idea because the world is a global village now.

Cost of living is cheaper than in the UK. But because the TTD is practically worthless and fixed to the USD everything "sounds" expensive (£1 GBP = $12.50 TTD).

Currently it's the rainy season (May-November). Hurricanes are not a problem in Trinidad or Tobago. Their location close to the South American mainland assists them in that respect. They get heavy rainfall but none of the winds. About a century ago a hurricane passed close to Tobago but the islands have never been hit as far as I know. Other than that the weather is hot, or hot. Average is 30C for the year - 26C at night.

Panman

Panman