PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of IMC rating?
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2007, 17:25
poorwanderingwun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just happened to drift into the Private threads out of curiosity.. Was disappointed to note that the IMC rating was in danger of being scrapped...

I found the extra freedom that it allowed me together with the boost in confidence that came as I became more familiar with (gentle) IMC was invaluable... not everyone would feel justified in lashing out the funds necessary for the full IR.. especially those who are limited to non ice protected a/c... and in my case I know that those hours climbing to get 'on-top' and safely back down again were real value for money when the time came to do the IR ... even for those not planning to lose sight of the ground it can prove a very useful tool... I remember just how suprised I was on those early cross-channel trips on fine days to find that the sea haze had blended the blue sky and blue sea together so effectively that my AH/VSI and Alt had suddenly become my dearest friends.. Obviously one can practise these skills with an instructor without any requirement to sit an exam but the proceedure regularises the training and the standards. It's a fine balance between confidence and overconfidence... I always felt that the IMC rating was a well placed stepping stone.