PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is It Worth It Anymore?
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2007, 14:06
Knee Trembler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a tough one to answer, and like many things in life it depends on your point of view.

One deciding factor is age. Whilst you can get into commercial flying at any age, it certainly becomes harder over 35, simply because the profile of the average FO still tends to be mid late 20s and there are plenty of captains who apply the template to all. If you've had any sort of responsibililty in your job it can be hard to adjust to being the 'least important person on the flight'. I certainly know a few people who have had problems with this, turned bitter and then sealed their fate as long term FOs.

It's also worth remembering that as a pilot you are only good for one thing and the longer you do it the harder it is to break free. Thankfully the medical is harder to lose in one's early years than in the past and I can happily say that I don't know anyone under 40 who has lost theirs. But if you do lose your job (as I did for nearly two years) it can be a bitter pill to go back to stacking shelves (literally) on minimum wage.

That said, when times are good it's a great life and you should certainly not believe half of the cr-p you read here. I was at XL for a year and the bullsh-t I read in the threads in this forum comes from a fairly small minority with an axe to grind. I suspect the same is true of other companies.

I suppose the bottom line is to ask yourself what you want to tell your grandchildren. If you're happy as you are then that's fine, but if you still harbour the flame to give it a try then don't let pprune put you off. After all you can always go back to the day job!

Good luck in your decision.

KT