PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Traffic Information and UNICOM v AFIS v ATC
Old 6th Sep 2007, 00:24
Scurvy.D.Dog
I'm in one of those moods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the Oz thread drift folks

Mark Vaile, today announced a six-month trial of an aircraft Very High Frequency (VHF) radio information service at Dubbo and Wagga Wagga airports to be managed by Airservices Australia.
Known as Unicom (Universal Communications Frequency), trained operators at the non-air traffic control towered airports will provide general weather reports, basic air traffic information and details about the services and facilities available at both airports to enhance the safety of regular passenger services into these destinations.
and
Mr Vaile said Airservices had undertaken an extensive assessment of aircraft operations in uncontrolled (Class G) airspace in order to identify any areas for improvement and options to improve safety.
Wonder where one might obtain a copy of the 'extensive assessment'?
Two locations where facilities already exist .. i.e. Du FS Unit and WG Twr
Wonder if the requirements for other 'Unicoms' will involve windowed facilties
Part 71?
... wonder who and how this is being paid for .. and who are the trainees/appointees? .... hope they are locals to be retained and trained!
Re NZ and Ardmore
I am led to believe our current GM ATC (OZ) was the Ardmore chief when the TWR ATC service was removed (stand to be corrected ) .... perhaps some of your questions could be asked directly to him .... he might be home to the land of the long white cloud soon, and in a position to comment officially and directly
Karma .... ain't it wonderful

Last edited by Scurvy.D.Dog; 6th Sep 2007 at 00:49. Reason: .... an after thought