PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I Wish I Hadn't Said That ...
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2007, 22:20
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scene:

II Sqn RAF Regiment on detachment in Cyprus. Out on Acamus range doing Demolitions 101 taught by 2IC II, (Flt Lt Mor****). He keeps repeating one of the golden rules:-

Never run away from your fused charge once it is initiated.

We are then issued 2oz PE4, a detonator and 2 minutes, (+ or - a bit), of safety fuse. The plan is that we manufacture the "weapon", light it at a central spot with 2IC II doing the lighting, place it under various rocks etc. of our choosing and retire to the designated gully and take cover.

Note: The long safety matches used to light the safety fuse can be a little "temperamental" in that they may not strike first or some number of subsequent times. Also, safety fuse itself doesn't simply ignite on command and sometimes takes a little coaxing.

So, we've all manufactured our "weapons" and are lined up waiting for "a light". Match lit and away we go. I get lit and, like everyone else, bury my "weapon" under 20+ pounds of the local rock. Time keeps moving on, fuse won't light and multiple matches that won't go first time mean that the two minutes is ticking off rapidly.

By the time all the fuses are lit and buried and 2IC II has retrieved his briefcase, (don't ask - no-one knows except him), all 30 rocks are hidden in the gully and he still has 150 yards to cover to get to said gully.

To give him his credit 2IC II was very cool, calm and collected until the first charge went off... at which point his pace picked up... With each explosion he got faster until, when he was about 50 yards from the gully, a piece of rock weighing about 10 pounds literally whistled past his head he broke into a run with debris falling all around him... Cue the chorus of 30 Rocks:-

"Sir, Don't RUN"