PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetair-Foreign pilots facing new problems? Tax matter.
Old 5th Sep 2007, 17:43
Human Cargo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:India and Expat taxation

From what my sources tell me, The only pilots that really have a problem or Potential problem are the Pilots that work for Air India & Air India express.
Air India management have mired the entire issue in Indian Burocracy. And refuse to acknowledge any responsibility. The the Government has decided to now enforce the requirement for a tax certificate prior to issueing new visa's or visa extentions. To my knowledge this has had a limited effect on some pilots there, However as time goes on more and more folks will feel the effects.
However make no mistake that at some point the Indian department of taxation "WILL" demand retroactive payment of taxes once the issue is sorted out.This may take some time( a few years even) So by leaving your job does not relieve you from the payment of back takes or being tried in absenture for Taxevaision. Though there are some Tax treaty's with governments with regard to resiprocal tax agreements, some in the Indian Government either are not aware of this or in most cases don't care.
So to all affected pilots and those who will ignore this issue based on poor advise, and join Air India or India express beware. Do your own research externally. Dont take anybodys word on this because most of the time they too have not carefully research the matter.
All the best
HC