PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whose stupid idea was this Part 2
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2007, 15:15
splitbrain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is incredible just how much 'point missing' is going on here. Of course techies should take the time to identifyt the contents of a can of fluid and I'm most certainly not advocating excusing deliberate negligence which should be punished accordingly, but what about when the guy is not being deliberately negligent, what about when he/she just makes a simple error because of the circumstances of the situation?
When one bears in mind how many seperate replenishment activities are carried out daily, the number of screw-ups made is quite small, so it is not a frequent occurence as had been suggested. This means that technician training must be working, and that 99.99% of the time lineys are taking the time to read the labels and identify the contents.
Its the other 0.01% of the time when the over-simplistic 'my advice is read to the label' doesn't work. And you can repeat it as many times as you like until you are blue in the face, read the label, read the label, read the label, it won't overcome the inherent psychological and physiological imperfections that are part of the human make-up. Perhaps Helpful Stacker has managed to carry out blending operations successfully without cross contamination every time, but then again, I have managed to put the right oil in the right system every time. What does that prove? It proves that both I and THS have never had the misfortune of having the ingredients for a screw-up fall into place all at the wrong time. I'll tell you this though, I do know of stackers who have put the wrong bolts in the wrong bin in stores because they misread the NATO number or the bin number.
Deliberate negligence or purposeful stupidty? Well one things for sure, just telling them 'my advice is read the label' didn't work for them.