PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in the Persian/Arabian Gulf
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2007, 14:50
stuckinarut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You gotta be kidding me

I'm afraid 'Qatar's' post at the top of the page is slightly missleading...and my response may generate a debate that I am more than happy to participate in, but I would like to provide the other side to working for the 'glorious Middle East cash cow'.

I went to Qatar for an experience and most certainly had that. I met some great people and had fun but it also narrowed some stereotypes for me to the point I had to leave. I was appalled at the reaction I had to their ineptitude and unjustified arrogance. Imagine being told that a young pilot with 1500 hours was an expert at everything including nvg mct profiles even though he had never done it!

I spent a year or so flying for the Qatar Air Farce and I would say the flying is relatively benign but living there is anything but fun. I was lied to from the moment I attended the job interview to the second I left the country. I was not paid the agreed contract price at any time. I was not treated with dignity or respect at any time by my employer. Moreover, once there I felt like a prisoner as an exit visa was less than easy to obtain.

What appalled me more was the institutional racism towards far more experienced pilots than myslef simply because they were Pakistani. This attitude unfortunately pervades all elements of Qatari life and I found very difficult to reconcile.

Administration is a joke both for the military and the governement for permits and visas and licenses etc. I spent nearly 5 months living in 2 rooms with my wife and 2 kids because they were too lazy to sort out my inclusive accommodation.

We had a run in with the police because of a minor argument at school between one of my children and an Iraqi child whose parents reported it to the authorities. I was subsequently abused by a police colonel for being Christian and white, blaming me for all bad behaviour at the school and not even attempting to learn what occurred. I soon learnt that there is no right or wrong, just their perspective no matter what the truth may be.

Flying in Qatar may award you a tax free income, but beware, the attitude of the Qatari people and some of the other expats is less than desirable.

Bring on the responses!