PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flygibraltar
Thread: Flygibraltar
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2007, 20:55
TheQuietLife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nivsy, I'll come onto the problem of Ryanair in a minute,

However yes as you say, a pity ZB had to pull out to save face (they could have bumped the ticket prices for a short period, then quietly dropped them) however they did totally read this situation wrongly....

Anyway GOG now effectivly in control of landing fees. Lets hope ZB come back on the MAN route. - I note they havn't launched their new timetable with regard to MAN routes yet!

---

OK, the problem with Ryanair is that they are strictly a point-to-point airline. No connections. This is NOT what Gibraltar needs.

If you become a destination on the point-to-point network of an airline then you are competing with all other destinations on that network - but ONLY for the passengers who are within the catchment area for that airport.

Also it means that only 1 new destination option becomes avaiable for passengers departing from Gibraltar. It does not open up alternative routing and options for passengers to other destinations.

Now point-to-point networks come in different guises.

RyanAir are the worst type becuase they only sell tickets directly and don't load them onto the global booking systems.

Monarch are also a point to point network - however they load fares onto the global booking systems (GDSs), meaning anyone using any flight finding tool can find them and book them.

- And they can also book them through a travel agent / or travel agent type website. This is important because people can then structure an ittinary that has multiple flights (not strcitly speaking connecting) but on one 'booking' and therefore still be in a postion of easily having an insurance option against something going wrong in their multiple leg journey.

[Strictly speaking ZB will actually officially sell you a full flex connections permited ticket, however they want FULL fare!]

Now there are plenty of airlines who offer connections (look at Air Berlin etc) also Brussels Airlines etc.

This is one of the reaons I would much sooner be persuading GT to operate GIB-BCN-GIB (at midday) than get either vueling or click on the route.

While click do load their fares into the GDS (using the IB codes that their flights also operate under), - they do not permit connections, end on ends etc. Which makes them a limited benefit.

---
Having said all that, why do I want ZB (a point-to-point) back on the MAN route? - Because they already have an established presence in Gib, many people are 'invested' in their FF scheme, and it does make Gib have a choice of ZB destinations rather being out on the end of the limb. [ZBs FF scheme and other destinations is also well suited to the trafic on a GIB route, which is therefore in the consumer/travellers interest.]

very tired, off to bed.