PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of IMC rating?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2007, 18:03
Three Yellows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose-X

When I used the term "IR Lite" what I meant was a cut down version of the IR, like the FAA IR without all the uneccessary theory that I as a PPL/IR wouldn't need.

I am lucky, I have a DA42, full IFR airways capable. In the UK I use my IMCR like an IR (as much as the law will allow) to actually go places. To be clear for your working group, I don't want to put my DA42 onto the N reg (too much grief) what I want is an accessible IR, like the FAA IR. I haven't got a problem with the 55 hours flight training, I just don't want to learn about how a jet engine works, as interesting as that may be. What I want more than anything is to be able to fly in near Europe and do an instrument approach in IMC if required.

However, I suspect that I am in the minority of being a PPL with a serious IFR aeroplane.

Interestingly, some airports in the UK do ask me to fly a SID. Not something that is taught in the IMC. The book says that IMC rated pilots "would not normally be expected to fly a SID". "Not normally" doesn't mean 'never'.

I hope this all turns out to everybodies satisfaction. However with the JAA experience behind us, I suspect that yet again we will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Sorry, no disrespect to your efforts on the W/G, I've just got this terrible sense of foreboding over getting 27 (?) countries to agree on something whilst I still have my health.

Last edited by Three Yellows; 4th Sep 2007 at 18:04. Reason: spelling, of course.