PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of IMC rating?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2007, 17:12
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dublin pilot, I don't know how many times you have crossed the alps over the top, but trust me there are not many places to divert to!!!

SteveiB, So what happens in the winter when the days are very short? Do you not fly IFR? What happens to currency? The point of an IR is basically an all weather day or night rating.

Fuji. I think you and I are never going to agree on this as I am not sure we have a common terms of reference. I am not talking about SID's and STAR's with reference to IMCR pilots being able to fly them. I am reflecting on the fact that traffic departing on them is kept well clear from traffic attempting a zone transit. I am also making the point that there are actually very few pilots doing real IFR and by real IFR I mean actually going any distance truly IFR with a let down at either end. It is mostly VFR pilots having chance encounters with cloud and carrying on. Trust me when I tell you on an average days flying for me under IFR the radio is very quiet.

AOPA and PPL/IR understand perfectly well the needs of pilots, those of use who volunteer our time to do the stuff are real pilots just like yourself and I actually find your view that we do not understand the needs offensive. We have not been take in by anything, we have sat down and listened to very balanced arguments and counteracted them with our own. All of this type of work is a matter of balance. In fact if you feel you can represent GA better please feel free to replace me.

But I will issue a challenge to you. Come on an airways flight with me, you can fly the entire trip under IFR including the SID's and STAR's (I am an IRI) and we can review hoe adequately you feel your IMCR prepared you for the task. It will cost you nothing other than a lunch and some genuine feedback.