PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of IMC rating?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2007, 16:33
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose

Fuji, You need to make your mind up, either you want access to the airways or you don't..... If you don't then the IMCR remains a viable option and we have to look at what needs to be done to improve the standard and give fair credit to those who want to go on and do the full IR.
Forgive me but I follow your argument even less.

My comments had absolutely nothing to do with who should or shouldn’t have access to class A.
I was making the observation that taking the UK model, IMCR holders have access to class D in IMC and operate to the same minima as CAT. (Reduced minima operations and departure excluded).

To suggest that AT treat those pilots in anyway different to IR holders is rubbish. AT have no idea whether the pilot has an IR or IMCR (although I accept in few cases they may have a clue from the initial call up, but equally the call ups I have heard from some CAT pilots have been so poor that I wonder how they ever got their IR.)

In my opinion given your experience of airways operation I do not understand how you can go along with the suggestion that the most difficult segment for an IMCR holder is the STAR. I doubt there is any evidence what so ever to support this hypotheses. From my own experience, and also taking into account what happens in the States where there are large numbers of PPL IRs with varying degrees of proficiency, the vast majority of problems occur during the approach.

With respect, and I really do mean this with the greatest of respect because you have my admiration for taking on the task you have, I think you and many others have been taken in by the whole host of unproven arguments why certain things should not be.

You may well argue you have not, but are engaging the art of the possible not the desirable. Whilst I would accept the rational in that argument there is a real danger that all that results is a whitewash that achieves absolutely nothing other than effectively maintaining the status quo. Sadly you will have wasted your time.

What I do see a lot off is people who think they could do an IR but don't really want to hiding behind what they see as onerous requirements. In fact the IR is not difficult to do at all, even in it's current format. There are too many old wives tales and myths spread about around it.
Personally I feel you could not be more wrong.

Why? Well the reality is hardly anyone does a PPL IR in Europe whereas the MAJORITY of pilots in the US have an IR. Moreover those pilots that do have an IR in Europe are likely to have an FAA IR. Do you honestly believe that among the fraternity of European FAA IR holders they would not have undertaken a European IR unless there was a very good reason for their not doing so? Evidence, evidence, evidence as my friend told me.

In short I am seriously concerned that AOPA has no understanding of the needs of GA or of the way in which GA pilots would use an IR.

Why oh why is everyone so intent on rewriting the rule book when there is already a tried and tested model in the form of the FAA IR that works and meets the needs of the private pilot.

You will end up with something so watered down as to be utterly pointless and all the serious pilots will continue to run N reg aircraft on the back of their FAA IR. What a shame.